Associate Faculty of English
Ivy Tech Community College – Richmond, August 2011 – Present
- Taught online and face-to-face sections of English Composition, Exposition and Persuasion, Introduction to College Writing, and Reading Strategies for College.
- Explored elements of the writing process to prepare student writers for college courses.
- Developed lessons and assignments to support narrative, analytical, expository, and argumentative genres of writing.
- Provided timely and thorough feedback on student writing with margin and end notes.
- Implemented research-based teaching methodologies of the writing workshop with mini-lectures, peer review, conferencing, and portfolio grading.
- Applied various writing and learning technologies in wired classrooms, including Microsoft Word, Google Docs, Blackboard, and Canvas.
- Provided support for student writers in various disciplines in campus Tutoring Center.
Religious Studies Lecturer
Manchester University, August 2017 – Present
- Taught writing intensive face-to-face and hybrid sections of Introduction to Religious Studies and Religions of East Asia.
- Addressed issues of cultural awareness through examination of current events related to religious practices around the world.
- Encouraged critical and creative engagement with concepts through in-class activities, writing workshops, and academic writing projects.
College-Level Essay Writing Tutor
Tutor.com, November 2016 – September 2017
- Provided constructive feedback on essays written by college students.
- Tutored students on grammar, citation style, and rhetorical modes of writing.
- Communicated with students via chat and asynchronous learning management system.
Indiana University East, August 2011 – May 2015
- Taught face-to-face sections of Principles of English Composition and English Composition I.
- Assessed student writing following guidelines set by Writing Program chair.
- Focused on all stages of writing process through in-class discussion, freewriting exercises, peer review, and timely feedback.
- Scored student essays for Writing Program assessment.
Bethany Theological Seminary, January 2009 – May 2010
- Provided administrative support for graduate courses.
- Took comprehensive notes on lectures to aid professor.
- Led workshops and class discussion on the writing process.
Manchester University, August 2004 – June 2006
- Assisted students with learning disabilities in comprehension of course content.
- Proofread assignments for speaker of English as a second language.
Master of Arts: Liturgical Studies
Bethany Theological Seminary, 2009 – 2011
Master of Divinity: Writing emphasis
Bethany Theological Seminary, 2007 – 2010
Bachelor of Science: Religion major, English Writing minor
Manchester University, 2004 – 2006
Ball State University, 2018
Adjunct Faculty Development Institute
Ivy Tech Community College, 2016 – Present
United Sexualities & Genders Safe Zone Training
Manchester University, 2017
University of Cincinnati Clermont College, 2017
Ball State University, 2015
Indiana University, 2014
Accelerated Learning Program Conference
Ivy Tech Community College, 2011
Faculty Advisor, Ivy Writing Circle
Ivy Tech Community College, August 2015 – December 2015
- Attended meetings for the encouragement of student writers.
- Oversaw planning events on and off campus for National Novel Writing Month.
Indiana University East, August 2014 – December 2014
- Developed rubrics for Writing Program assessment.
- Oversaw standardization of Writing Program curriculum.
- Organized campus events including NCTE National Day on Writing.
Presidential Forum Planning Committee
Bethany Theological Seminary, July 2007 – March 2009
- Planned and implemented two academic conferences focusing on fine and literary arts.
Faculty Search Committee
Bethany Theological Seminary, July 2007 – May 2008
- Read and analyzed application materials.
- Interviewed and recommended candidates to join graduate teaching faculty.
- Protected confidential information related to the interview process.
Manchester University, April 2005 – April 2006
- Cataloged, organized, and digitized archival materials.
- Researched queries for information and documents.
Center on Conscience & War, November 2002 – February 2003
- Communicated with national constituency related to government policy issues.
- Composed and proofread newsletter articles, fundraising letters, and website text.
- Researched queries for information on organizational history.
Conference on College Composition & CommunicationNational Council of Teachers of English
Poetry critique group
Undergraduate coursework, Political Science
University of Pittsburgh,1999 – 2000
Undergraduate coursework, General Studies
Harrisburg Area Community College, 1998
Undergraduate coursework, Culinary Arts
Johnson & Wales University, 1997 – 1998
- “Poetry Beyond Peace,” Manchester University, September 2017
- Poetry Reading with Craig Goodworth, Bethany Theological Seminary, January 2017
- “Pilgrimage of Peace,” Presidential Forum, Bethany Theological Seminary, November 2015
- “Ways to Use a Pocket Notebook,” Ivy Writers Circle, Ivy Tech Community College, April 2014
- “Beyond What Columbus Discovered: Language & the Land in the Poetry of William Stafford,” with Craig Goodworth, Arden Hearth, October 2012
- Dream Horse Press First Book Tour poetry reading with Kyle McCord and Keith Montesano, Clear Creek Food Co-Op, July 2010
- William Stafford Symposium, Bethany Theological Seminary, March 2010
- “Traveler, Robber, Priest, Samaritan: A Workshop on Creative Writing and Activism,” Bethany Theological Seminary, April 2008
- “Ambiguity and Ambivalence in the Poetry of William Stafford,” Peace Forum, Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham School of Religion, March 2007
- “The Call to Critique: William Stafford as Anabaptists Poet,” Dean’s Student Scholarship Symposium, Manchester University, 2006
- “Ways to Use a Pocket Notebook,” Medium, May 2018
- “To Be a Writer, Stop Complaining on the Internet,” Medium, February 2016
- “Writer’s Notebooks for College Composition,” written for Indiana Writing Project, Scribd, June 2015
- “The Place of Poetry in the Composition Classroom,” written for Indiana Writing Project, Scribd, June 2015
- “Advice to Writers: College Composition Lesson Plan,” Scribd, June 2015
Scholarly Journal Articles
- “Ritual in the Dark: A Liturgy of Image and Text,” with Craig Goodworth, Theopoetics, 1.2, 2015
- “Salmoneus and the Poets: Poetry in a World of Violence,” CrossCurrents, 60.1, 2010
- Book review of Walker in the Fog: On Mennonite Writing by Jeff Gundy, Brethren Life & Thought, 51.3, 2006
- “What Circling Vultures Tell the Dead,” Zetetic, May 2016
- “Luminous,” Verbatim Found Poetry, May 2016
- “honeysuckle gone,” cattails, May 2016
- “Wapinepay Heron,” Topology Magazine, March 2016
- “weeding the garden,” The Heron’s Nest, June 2015
- “The Drone,” Clementine Poetry Journal, April 2015
- “Winter Tracking,” Clementine Poetry Journal, March 2015
- “For We Do Not Know How to Pray,” Winged: New Writing on Beesblog, August 2014
- “Some Beliefs About Mountains,” A Ritual to Read Together: Poems in Conversation with William Stafford, Woodley Press, November 2013
- “Eastern Market Metro Station, Washington, DC,” “This is What Saves the Valley,” “She Stands, Still Weeping,” CrossCurrents, 60.1, 2010