Travis Poling is a poet and photographer whose work focuses closely on the natural world through abstraction, plain speech, and pilgrimage through the regional landscape. He grew up in the Cumberland Valley forests of Pennsylvania and Maryland, and currently lives in the wooded plains of east central Indiana where he teaches writing to college students. His poems have been published in various journals and anthologies, and his photographs have appeared in group exhibitions in Indiana.
- “What Circling Vultures Tell the Dead” Zetetic, May 2016
- “Luminous” Verbatim Found Poetry, May 2016
- "honeysuckle gone" haiku in cattails, May 2016
- “Wapinepay Heron” Topology Magazine, March 2016
- “weeding the garden—” The Heron’s Nest, June 2015
- “The Drone” Clementine Poetry Journal, April 2015
- “Winter Tracking” Clementine Poetry Journal, March 2015
- “For We Do Not Know How to Pray” Winged: New Writing on Bees anthology blog, August 2014
- “Al-Mutanabbi Street, Baghdad, March 2007” Brethren Life and Thought blog, June 2014
- “Some Beliefs About Mountains” A Ritual to Read Together: Poems in Conversation with William Stafford, Woodley Press, November 2013
- “Eastern Market Metro Station, Washington, DC” CrossCurrents, 60.1, 2010
- “This is What Saves the Valley” CrossCurrents, 60.1, 2010
- “She Stands, Still Weeping” CrossCurrents, 60.1, 2010 and DreamSeeker Magazine, Winter 2007
- “What Prayer Is” Alba: A Journal of Short Poetry, January 2007
- “North Marsh” at Open Space: Art About the Land at Minnetrista, Muncie, Indiana, October 15 - November 13, 2016
- “The Second Mystery,” "Zion Church,” and "Cloud Lacuna” at Whitewater Valley Art Competition, Indiana University East, October 27 - December 9, 2016
- “Sunset at Whitewater Lake” 118th Annual Exhibit of Richmond and Area Artists, Richmond Art Museum, November 3, 2016 - January 14, 2017
- “Richmond YMCA” 117th Annual Exhibition of Richmond and Area Artists, Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana; November 2015 to January 2016.
- “Hayes Abstract 151.” 117th Annual Exhibition of Richmond and Area Artists, Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana; November 2015 to January 2016.
- “Cloud Lacuna.” Open Space: Art About the Land, Minnetrista, Muncie, Indiana; Sept ember to October 2015.
- “Zion Church,” third place in Amateur division, “Hayes Abstract 151,” honorable mention in Amateur division, “The Second Mystery,” honorable mention in Amateur division, Photography Show #13, Arts Depot, Union City, Indiana; Arts Association of Randolph County, August 2016.
- “Richmond YMCA,” first place in Phone Pictures category, Amateur division. Photography Show #12, Arts Depot, Union City, Indiana; Arts Association of Randolph County, August 2015.
- “Ritual in the Dark: A Liturgy of Image and Text” Collaboration with Craig Goodworth, Theopoetics, 1.2, 2015
- “Jesus, My Companion” Moments of Our Days and Nights, Wild Goose Publications, 2014
- “Salmoneus and the Poets: Poetry in a World of Violence” CrossCurrents, 60.1, 2010
- Book review of Walker in the Fog: On Mennonite Writing by Jeff Gundy, Brethren Life & Thought, 51.3, 2006. ATLA Database Accession Number: ATLA0001598115
- Poems That Should Never be Read in Church, Self-published poetry chapbook, 2010 - Ebook for Nook or Kindle
Adjunct English Instructor, Ivy Tech Community College and Indiana University East, 2011 to Present
Editor, William Stafford Online Reader
Liturgist, Richmond Church of the Brethren, Richmond, Indiana, 2008 to Present
Master of Arts, Liturgical studies, Bethany Theological Seminary, 2011
Master of Divinity, Ministry of Writing (courses from Earlham School of Religion), Bethany Theological Seminary, 2010
Bachelor of Science, Religion major, English writing minor, Manchester University, 2006
Poetic Worship: The Renewal of Liturgical Language, Bethany Theological Seminary, 2011 (Read Chapter 1)
“Vcela: A Theopoetic of Honeybees” Collaboration with Craig Goodworth, 2013 CIVA JUSTart Conference, Wheaton College, 2014
“Ritual in the Dark: A Liturgy of Image & Text” Collaboration with Craig Goodworth, Bethany Theological Seminary, October 2012
“Ritual in the Dark: A Liturgy of Image & Text” Collaboration with Craig Goodworth, Theopoetics Working Group, American Academy of Religion, November 2012
Dream Horse Press First Book Tour, featured poet with Kyle McCord and Keith Montesano, July 2010
“Beyond What Columbus Discovered: Language & the Land in the Poetry of William Stafford” Collaboration with Craig Goodworth, Arden Hearth, Richmond, IN, October 18, 2012
William Stafford Symposium, Bethany Theological Seminary, March 2010
“Traveler, Robber, Priest, Samaritan: A Workshop on Creative Writing and Activism” Bethany Theological Seminary, April 2008
“Lectio Poetica: Prayer through Poetry” (handout) Sabbath Space Gathering, Bethany Theological Seminary, March 2011
“The Grace of Goodly Speech: A Theopoetics of Pilgrimage and Encounter in Celtic Wisdom Psalms” Presidential Forum, Bethany Theological Seminary, March 2009
“Ambiguity and Ambivalence in the Poetry of William Stafford” Peace Forum, Bethany Theological Seminary and Earlham School of Religion, March 2007
“The Call to Critique: William Stafford as Anabaptist Poet” Manchester University, Dean’s Student Scholarship Symposium, March 2006
“Remember the Angels” Bethany Theological Seminary, February 2013
“Responsive Litany in Three Parts” (pg 2-7) Church of the Brethren National Youth Conference, July 2010